The KEYSTEP supports 5 different Analog clock rates:
- 1 STEP GATE
- 1 STEP CLOCK
- 1 PULSE (KORG)
- 24 PPQ(Pulses per quarter note)
- 48 PPQ
In this mode, the source clock will send one pulse at each step of your sequence.
Warning: In this mode, Rate/ Time div buttons are unusable on your KEYSTEP.
B) IN USE
Let’s synchronize a LFO to your KEYSTEP. In this example we use a MICROBRUTE, a KEYSTEP and one soft synth connected like this:
Set the dipswitches behind your KEYSTEP on “SYNC IN” mode.
On your MICROBRUTE:
- Set LFO amount at max and LFO SYNC on “free”, assuming your mod wheel is assigned to cutoff.
- Set the LFO's waveform as Square.
- Open the MIDI CONTROL CENTER, in the “Sequence Settings” section, set the sync parameters like this:
- Then launch your soft synth and record a sequence on your KEYSTEP.
- Press “play-pause” on your KEYSTEP to start the sequence.
→ The tempo will now be controlled from by your MicroBrute's LFO Rate
In this mode, the source clock will send 4 pulses between each step (Equivalent to 4 PPQ).
B) IN USE
Let’s connect a BEATSTEP PRO to a KEYSTEP sequencing a MICROBRUTE).
The BEATSTEP PRO will clock the KEYSTEP.
The KEYSTEP will sequence the MICROBRUTE under the BEATSTEP PRO's tempo.
To do that, you have to:
- Open the MIDI CONTROL CENTER with your BEATSTEP PRO Connected.
- Go to DEVICE SETTINGS and then in SYNC part.
- Set CLOCK IN/OUT SETTINGS like this :
- Now select your connected KEYSTEP in the MIDI CONTROL CENTER, and set sync parameters like this:
- On the KEYSTEP, set the dipswitches on “SYNC IN”.
- On your BEATSTEP PRO, set the sync button on “INT”.
- Back on your KEYSTEP, press “play-pause” to make it waiting for the BEATSTEP PRO clock start message.
- Press “play -pause” on your BEATSTEP PRO :
→ Your sequence should start with the BEATSTEP PRO as master. You can also apply time division on your KEYSTEP.
This clock rate is the standard used by KORG for their products.
To make it simple, you can consider it running at 2 PPQ.
B) IN USE
Let’s connect a VOLCA BEATS (or other KORG VOLCA gear) to a KEYSTEP, sequencing a MINIBRUTE, with the VOLCA set as master clock source.
- Open MIDI CONTROL CENTER to set your KEYSTEP sync clock settings like this
- On your KEYSTEP, set the dipswitches on “SYNC IN”
- Press “play -pause” on your KEYSTEP
- The sequence should start immediately. (As the VOLCA BEATS doesn’t support clock start stop messages.) You can apply time division on your KEYSTEP.
These clock rate are supported by vintage drum machines such as ROLAND TR-808 (24 PPQ) or LINN ELECTRONICS LM-2 (48 PPQ)
B) IN USE
You can repeat the steps described in the section: 2) B)
But this time you have to set your KEYSTEP and the BEATSTEP PRO on the same clock in/out settings, to make a perfect synchronization.